Saturday, January 22, 2005

Ahoy to the New Year

Much has happened in times of late. I've spent three wonderful weeks in Vancouver, where I enjoyed many heart filled times with old friends. It's good to see everyone, even if we're all not in the best of places. In that spirit, I'm listening to an album I recently rediscovered, Radiohead's "Amnesiac". Depending on my mood, this album will sometimes get my vote for their best album. Though "Ok Computer" was perhaps a more impressive studio effort, "Amnesiac" tends to suit my mood more often (Jedd and I exchanged parts of this conversation less than a week ago). Perhaps we should all light a candle for Evan's soul. No, it's alright, Evan doesn't believe that he has a soul.

In a similar vein, I've also rediscovered what has been, for me, Blind Melon's most enduring album. "Nico" contains an excellent rendition of "The Pusher", an awesome recording from an answering machine ("Letters from a Porcupine") and a heart wrenching ballad (of sorts, what really is a ballad), "Soul One". It is a fine piece of songwriting.

I'm hitting the sack early tonight. It's about two, but many of my friends are still at a house party. Today's been sort of a hectic day, especially considering that I'm still on vacation. I spent all day prepping for the evening which included dinner for an old friend recently returned from France and a Scotch tasting that I was co-leading. Dinner was good. A simple moules marinière with good baguette and some good cheese. We enjoyed a very tasty (for the price, $6.99USD) Bergerac Sec from Seigneurs de Bergerac (2003). Mostly Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon with a splash of Muscadelle, the wine was delicious on its own but also paired nicely with the mussels.

As for the Scotch:

We started with the Auchentoshan 10 yrs (Lowland). Very nice rounded caramel nose with a smooth palette. Fruity a smooth (these notes are a little pathetic as I didn't write anything down at the time).
Now in simple order of appearance:
Balvenie 10 (Speyside)
Bunnahabhain 12 (Islay)
Cragganmore 12 (Speyside)
Laphroaig 10 (Islay with a kick in the chops)

Cragganmore was my favourite, though I always love a good healthy kick in the chops.

I must head to sleep. Good night to all.



No comments: