Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Angsty, unadulterated self-expression

I went to see Wolf Parade last night. Great show. Fantastic. (Let me get that out of the way before I start complaining.) But Wolf Parade's drummer needs a friking metronome. Very nearly every song was revved up into a short little diddy of a punk anthem. Perhaps the band simply wanted to get off the stage asap, but whatever the case, slow the damn songs down.

The title of this post is more in reference to one of the evening's two openers, Frog Eyes, than Wolf Parade. I realized something while standing in the crowd, watching their front man gyrate, mumble incoherently, and frenetically scratch his guitar (which sounded like Tom Morello after an acid binge): Indy rock is all about the song writing. More so than any genre I've lived through, the ascent to the pedestal of cool in Indy rock depends largely on well written songs. The contrast last night was stark. Wolf Parade had them in spades, Frog Eyes had jack. I found myself wondering how the Frog Eyes front man had managed to convince someone to let him bring his private bathroom mirror "I am rockstar" fantasy out for all the world to see. I can hardly imagine something less interesting. Mercifully, it was at least a bit comical.

No comments: