Saturday, February 07, 2004

Grammy Hysteria

Or not. I look to the Grammys for entertainment and some vindication. It's sort of hypocritical that I at once feel happy when an artist I like wins, but then also enjoy making derisory comments about the commerciality (apologies) of the Grammys and the boneheaded selections that sometimes get made. The latter tend to serve me as fodder for rants about our "mass culture" and all of the schlock that it produces.
A case in point. This years nominees for best rock album really illustrate rocks decline (and hip hop's rise). That's not to say that good rock and roll isn't being made (somewhere), but it's not what most people are listening to (sorry). I must admit to not knowing anything about the actual music on the albums for which these artists were nominated, but I hold not even the faintest hope. Audioslave, Evanescence, Foo Fighters, Matchbox Twenty, and Nickelback. Now a year ago, being that they hail from my home town, Nickelback might nave gotten my vote (If only I had one), but of late they have been an embarassment. That leaves the Foo simply because Dave Grohl is their front man.
On to more interesting categories.
Record of the Year: Outkast(Hey Ya!). Critically acclaimed and loved by all there shouldn't been any contest (though I haven't hear Coldplay's effort)
Album of the Year: Outkast. Wahooo! (this is the excitement that I mentioned earlier).
Best New Artist: I've never heard of any of the nominees in this category except for 50, so why not. And really, seeing as the Grammys always seem to be at least partly a sales competition, this one seem a no brainer.
Pop Vocal Album: Timbernut. (George will roll over a few more times)
Rap Album: I heard Missy's album (Under Construction) once while waiting in the waiting room of a clinic. I was very impressed. Part of me wants this to go to her, Outkast doesn't really need a third, but they're not undeserving. A worthy match up.
Country Album: I've included this category so I can profess my great admiration for Lyle Lovett. I don't know any of the other albums in this category (though I do know the artists) and in my world this wouldn't be a competition.
Best Alternative Music Album: Radiohead (Hail to the Thief). I don't believe I've even heard this album in its entirety, however the other entries in this category will (in my world) burn in the firesome grip of Radiohead's glory.
Best Female Rap Solo Perfomance: Missy for "Work It". As much as I hate this song, Missy easily outshines the other artists in this category (most of whom I haven't heard).

No comments: