Saturday, April 03, 2004

Maynard Loves his Wine

It's not often that I find my different interests crossing paths in this way. A recent article on the Winespectator website details Tool singer, Maynard James Keenan's passion for wine. I can't say that the article is particularly interesting (though you should check it out for the picture of Maynard), either from a musical perspective, or a wine perspective. It's one of those human interest stories that doesn't really say much of anything, at least in and of itself. There is perhaps something interesting in watching the counter-cultural become not quite so counter. But I don't think it's really that big a surprise. We all remember Zack and his Ford explorer don't we. Well, Maynard is the proud owner of near complete verticals of Grange, and in his own words, "A page and half of Sassicaia [very good, very well known, Italian Cab Sauv with a little Cab Franc] on one wine list is enough to make my heart stop." Now I quite agree with his sentiment, and I would be most delighted to have verticals of Grange in my cellar. But it just goes to show you how rare trully revolutionary discourse really is. I guess I should add that I don't think Tool has ever really sold themself on more than their particular aesthetic (unlike RATM). So I don't begrudge Maynard his wine. It's just funny to see how he and Tool get presented to the public and, in turn, how the public chooses to receive them.

No comments: