Saturday, October 02, 2004

The difficulties of sunshine

Mostly, I'm having a hard time staying focused on my reading. It's a beautiful autumn day here. Looking through the old lead pane windows of the library, I see leaves in every shade from green to red, many of them backlit by the golden afternoon sunshine.

The last week has been good. Busy as usual, but mostly interesting and engaging. I had a great time at the radio show. The music was a bit more ecletic than usual. I don't know than anyone but me appreciated the transition from the depressed soundscape of Radiohead's 'Kid A' to the upbeat good o'l rock and roll of Roy Orbison's 'Candy Man'. I followed that with 'Hey Ya!" and after that my memory is a little blurry.

I discovered a new beer. Some of you may know of the 'Anchor Steam' beer made by the Anchor Brewing company of San Francisco. It manages to be at once complex and refreshing. Last night I decided to give both their 'Liberty Ale' and 'Anchor Porter' a try. The Anchor Porter wasn't bad, not something I'll buy again, but not a bad beer by any means. The Liberty Ale was however very good. It's dry hopped and so has a very nice fresh fruity/floral hop character that I really like. If you Bridgeport's 'Blue Heron', I'm sure you'll like the Liberty Ale, which is, in my opinion, a better beer. Unfortunately, I don't know that the Liberty is available up in Canada. As of a couple years ago, I'd only ever seen their Anchor Steam in Vancouver.

I'm off to read Plutarch. I hope all of you are having a good weekend.

No comments: