Tuesday, September 21, 2004

A quick respite (from my homework)

I'm knee deep in homework, or a least I should be. I've just poured myself some coffee and am about to analyze some stellar spectra data for chem conference tomorrow. My coffee is a bit toasty. I left the french press to sit for a good ten minutes, probably more, while I let myself get sucked away into the pages of the Economist.

It has been a long time since the phrase 'gun-totting xenophobic troglodyte' has been written on this pages. I believe the phrase was originally coined by the author of the late 'Echoland', whose fine analysis and witty insight are sorely missed. The phrase came to mind as I was reading "The world this week", a section, compiled of short news summaries, that appears at the beginning of each week's issue. If anyone has every typified that subsection of Americana we all know and love to hate, it is these men whom I'm sure, you will well agree, are this year's gun-totting xenophobic troglodytes of the year.

From the Economist:

Three Americans, including a special-forces veteran, were jailed by a court in Afghanistan for up to ten years for waging a freelance war on terror, which involved running a private prison, kidnapping and torture. The men were arrested in Kabul after a shootout with police. Eight prisoners were later set free from a private house in the city.

If anyone would like to challenge my nomination, I urge to do so.

No comments: