Saturday, November 19, 2005

Oh My

Sometimes you just can't work anyomore. I got my first migraine this morning, or at least something phenomenologically (my apologies) similar. It was rather frightening at the time. I could see, but I couldn't. Looking at my computer screen, I could see the words but I couldn't really make them out. My ability to process contrast seemed to be impeded. Straining my eyes really hard, I could still read, but the effort was so great that I could concentrate on nothing else. Couldn't think about what I was reading, certainly couldn't write my thesis. I tried reading a book instead, but it was no better. I got up to look at my eyes in the in the mirror and noticed that my peripheral vision seemed to be quivering, and it was cut off on either side, perhaps by as much as a third. Fortunately, I took a break and everything seems to have returned to normal. Even after my eyes improved, I was still a little concerned. I still didn't really no what had happened. I had an inkling that the culprit was some combination of lack of sleep and moderate drinking last night (two mixed drinks and three pints of beer), but I wasn't really sure. Two people have since comfirmed my suspicions, and one suggested that it may have been a migraine.

I'm going to go to bed early this evening, and hopefully this won't happen again.

No comments: