Saturday, October 08, 2005

Death comes quickly

This wasn't what I had intended to write about, but as my fingers began typing, it was what came out. We all have granparents, aunts and uncles, and other elderly friends of the family. I recently found out that someone close to my family has died. I'd been planning on writing her a letter, in response to one that she had sent me, for the last month. Planning, meaning to...I never did get to it...

So yeah, don't let this happen to you.

Coming back to what I meant to write about. As I mentioned in a recent post, acamedics often embark on seemingly pointless quests in search of answers to the most meaningless of questions. A case in point: many critics have spent a great deal of time attempting to decide which, if any, of the yellow patches in Vermeer's View of Delft is the fabled "petit pan de mur jaune" ("little section of yellow wall") that is mentioned three times in A La recherche du temps perdu. If you follow the second link, you'll see a rendition of the painting (I say "rendition" because I have no idea what sort of saturation, contrast, etc., the painting actually has) where to my eyes, it is eminently clear which patch of yellow is the "petit pan de mur jaune" (the one labeled "A" in the first link). And yet, I don't care.

No comments: