Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And there was connectivity.

I have re–emerged from the cave. No, not Mr. Plato's, but my own, self–imposed, cell phone free cave. I've just ordered a Nokia 6102 from Amazon.com. As long as I can navigate the rebate process, I will actually net $75 from the transaction (ignoring the $500 I've just agreed to pay T-mobile over the next year). It's not a particularly swanky phone, but it's not a piece of shit either. Were cost no concern, I might have gotten either a Samsung t809 or a Motorola PEBL. But, as a poor college student, and further as someone who is somewhat uncomfortable with conspicuous consumption, I opted for the Nokia. While pondering the choice—I've been researching phones for about three weeks now—I've frequently asked myself which phone I would buy if money were of no personal concern. The PEBL is one cool little phone. Not as trendy as the RAZR, which, I must sheepishly admit, is a small part of why I like the PEBL more, but much cooler (even apart from that) as it is actually a very well–designed, feature rich, skookum little phone. On the one hand, were I a consumer of greater financial means, I would be inclined to support Motorola for their design achievement, and I might also be inclinde to reward myself for whatever successes I have had. And yet, that money might be put to better use. When talking of cell phones, such questions may almost seem a little excessive as the amount of money involved is so small (to me at least). So how about we change the situation. I have, for many years dreamed, on and off, of owning a BMW M5. It is a beautiful car, and yet sort of practical, by which I mean that it seats more than two people. But I've never been sure that I could actually buy such a car (regardless of my wealth). Why not choose a Honda Civic, or some other car that similarly teems with practicality. I think I might feel like a tool every time I got into my M5. And, if ever I didn't, I fear that I would have lost an important part of who I am. It's not that I have anything against capitalism; market based democracies are the best form of governance we humans have stumbled upon so far. It is instead a of question of my personal priorities, of how I want to allocate my resources, considering all the potential effects of my decisions.

No comments: