Sunday, September 25, 2005

Afternoon thoughts

It's Sunday afternoon and I've just finished Jboard training. I'm about to head to the gym, but before doing so I thought I'd mention that y'all should really check out Yonderboi, and in particular his debut album "Shallow and Profound". I imagine that it was Jedd who introduced his music to me, probably when I was up in Vancouver in June, but I'd not given the album a thorough listen until yesterday. The title is disarmingly apt. Some tracks waffle along in superficial exchanges of electronic call and answer, creating enjoyable mood music and little else. However Yonderboi is at his best when he's slowed down, finding more complexity in his samples, and allowing himself the time to weave them together and play them off of each other. There are at least two outstanding tracks on the album, maybe three, and many others have the potential to develop with further listening. Really, the most interesting aspect of the music is how it successfully alternates between the shallow and profound, between the superficially entertaining, and the genuinely emotive.

No comments: