Thursday, September 08, 2005

more on last night

While eating breakfast this morning (soft boiled eggs and toast), I thought of some problems with regard to what I wrote last night. The obvious case: lyrics. I don't tend to listen to lyrics, so they hadn's initially occured to me. It's not that I don't listen to vocals, but I listen to them principally as part of the instrumentation. That's part of why I hate most Pop music. The vocals are usually so far forward that the mix is unbalanced (not to mention the overall suckiness part). But I digress. So clearly I am forced to admit that music does communicate. Now, I have a hairbrained idea for maintaining my own intuitions about music, but it requires an elaboration of the essence of good poetry, and then, seperately, of the relationship between vocals/lyrics and the rest of the mix. As for the former (the poetry part), I actually have some ideas. They'd be intellectually indefensible (in a western sense), as they rest on a phenomenological understanding of poetry and its effects, but they make sense if you're willing to accept an appeal to personal and shared experience. As for the latter part, I've no idea and am entirely out of my league.

I'm going to go have drink.

Cheers!

Love Ev

No comments: